Monday, August 21, 2006

More watermelon please!

It's a known fact that all pugs love to eat, eat, and eat some more. Then nap of course. Our Brownie loves fruits, especially watermelon. We usually cut the watermelon in half and eat it with a spoon while watching TV. Brownie loves to stick his head on top of the watermelon and attack each spoonful. I have never seen him move his head so fast! Meanwhile, when he does get a piece, he relaxes and lounges on a pillow or the couch, then devours his treat. He also enjoys watching "Dog Whisperer". He soemtimes thinks the dogs are barking at him and he gets really excited.

I have now reduced dog treats and increased more all natural treats consisting of some soy yogurt, watermelon, apple, peaches, and salad. I found this has reduced the odor from his stools as well as help him trim down. As with all other pugs, our Porky and Brownie are both overweight. Brown is now at a healthy weight and much more active. We have also noticed he eats more since we started switching off his food every month or so. We realized it's hard to eat the same thing everyday so we try to change it up so he doesn't get bored.

Chow down on the fruits!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 3 year old pug Rita just discovered that she likes watermelon. She doesn't get much human food and we follow a strict diet due to we believe she is allergic to beef. She really wanted to try watermelon tonight and so I let her. She was one happy girl. I am glad it is ok that she have a little from time to time. Rick - Tonawanda NY

margox said...

My Buddy ( 2 yr old blk pug) loves WATERMELON,, who knew, he's so funny he loves alot fresh fruit, I do make sure it's safe for him first, no raisins stuff like that ( he doesn't get anything on do not feed list), he has been the sunshine of my life after the Grandkids and of course my daughter